Skip to main content

City Recharge

Empty, lazy and totally clueless about what to do,
I decide to take a hike into the city

It’s raining steadily and evenly
A consequent pattern

It’s that time
Just before the bars, restaurants, coffee shops open
So
The best time
Gentle quietness
Before the guests ruin the atmosphere of these places

A pretty girl cycles by
She doesn’t look at me, of course
But at her phone, of course

I consider myself more as an observer than a participant of society
But people do see me
Not al of them 
But I see reactions towards me

After a while I realize 
My visual experiences are repetitive 
And mathematically spread over the old city centre

A small herd of Airbnb folk
Seem to be lost and deviant

While the rest of the people walk the streets
Like equally divided by the square meters
Small amounts and small groups of locals, tourists, pupils, students and labourers
Seem to be orderly placed 
By a chess player

Every quarter of an hour
Parcels delivery personnel
Standing in front of the doors
In vain attempts
The others are not at home

A guy is having a cup of tea and some milk
In a messy joint student place
Filled with empty beer bottles and much more
Having a hang over, I hope
Good old days 
I suppose

All over town
Lonely students 
Stare at their laptops
In their small chaotic overfilled rooms

My old favourite antique bookstore
I walk by
Its influx is gone

There are no boats on the canals
Only the rain is playing with the dark water
Leaving circular signs 

I admire the magnificent old architecture
And stare towards the other side of their windows
Messy untidy fancy interiors
Signs of uptown households

OMG, pink car!
What is your reason of existence?
And why over here?


Restoration, renovation, redecoration
Of century old buildings, bridges and streets
Takes place 
Like the rain and the different types of people
Divided equally
All over town

This rebuilding
It’s being conducted in a quiet way
Nothing like the usual messy, crowded, noisy and frustrated annoyances
It is, however, a quiet restoration of town
At least today

Fancy offices in old houses
Law firms, architect bureaus, real estate agencies
Spread around the whole medieval town
Their staff
Stare at their computers like the next door students

It’s a grey day
I decide to go back
For I feel much better

Conclusion
My battery has been recharged

And now
I am home
The rain is pouring down

And will do so for the coming day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aesthetic death of my town

One hour before curfew It is the year 2021 A late January evening I am supboarding on the flat waters Of the medieval canals And see my city  In all its beauty  Enough people walk by But never more than two persons  And I am floating In these bridge galaxies (hard to explain 😆 )  While I am doing this  Noises are dimmed  Curfew time is approaching  All the lights in the houses are lit Everyone is home To the satisfactory of my curiosity And I sense something different And it is beautiful  And sad For When I am paddling back To my home I experience  That my town Is dying In  All Its Beauty

Mijlpalen

Mijlpalen Meer mijlpalen Mooie momenten Mooie monumentale mijlpalen Het worden er steeds meer En dat is goed Dat is leven Vooruitgaan Mijlpalen worden gedragen door de levenden Die nemen deze mee in hun herinneringen En de niet levenden Voor wie mijlpalen van belang zouden (moeten) zijn Hun herinneringstas is leeg Heel leeg  En wordt steeds leger Totdat Er Geen Verbinding Meer Is

Hold on (nothing's the same)

I had to enter the supermarket, alone And was happy No more scores of people, pushing  Quietness, … at the cash desks Then After a short while It felt kind of spooky Me, in this surrealistic surrounding Sligro Tuesday afternoon March 24 2020 I have this love hate relation with people 1.5 meters distance to another human being No problem, what a relief Sooner than I could imagine I started to miss these folks by the minute Also I had to concentrate on the shopping “Cheese, eggs, fresh vegetables…” “Hey, they play some really good songs” I danced a bit “I will pass you via this side” And the supermarket employer involved in this scene said  “Thanks” “Thank you”, I replied My thoughts on humankind Which dropped  Dramatically the last weeks Changed a bit, positively upwards In a relax mood I continued “Oh yes, almonds, raisins, taco chips…” “Wow, is it true?” “Do I hear the opening chords of this song?” Yes, y